1188: Live Like Husayn
Our community will be entering the most important days of the year with the advent of Muharram 1444. The Mainstay Foundation will be launching its national Muharram campaign, 1188: Live Like Husayn, which will run from July 19th / 19th of Dhu Al-Hijjah to September 19th / 20th of Safar. Over the course of two months, the foundation will be organizing more than ten projects and programs which aim to engage the community members with the timeless and universal message of Imam Husayn (a).
An interactive program for children ages 5-10 years old with Elwiya ʿIlwiyyah Zainab Almosawi at Bint Jebail Cultural Center at 5:30 PM ET.
Majalis of Zaynab
A sisters only program with Sr. Walaa Abada. This program will be held in-person at the Bint Jebail Cultural Center and virtually via Zoom at 5:30 PM ET.
Never Forget – Family Program
A family program with Haj Jalal Moughania. This program will be held in-person and streamed to our YouTube channel and website.
Mr. Jalal Moughania is a lawyer, researcher, and author. He has written and translated original works on Shi’a Islam such as Grand Ayatollah M.S. Al-Hakeem’s ‘Marjaeya: A Candid Conversation’. He is the co-author of ‘The Pope Meets the Ayatollah: An Introduction to Shi’a Islam’. His most recent work is a historical narrative on the life of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib, ‘Ali: The Elixir of Love’. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Mainstay Foundation. Moughania holds a juris doctorate in law.
A family program with Sayyid Haidar Bahrelelom. This program will be held in-person and streamed to our YouTube channel and website.
Sayyid Bahrelelom is a strategist at a D.C. based research and advisory firm. He is an advisor to The Mainstay Foundation, helping the foundation with key projects.
A brothers only majlis with Sayyid Bahaa Almousawi. This program will be held in-person and streamed to our YouTube channel and website.
Sayyid Bahaa Almousawi is a renowned reciter in the Detroit Metro Area. He has been reciting in the honor of the Prophet and his Holy Household for over ten years. Invited to programs and functions nationally and internationally, Sayyid Bahaa stands out for his commitment to service and using his talent of recitation and performance to inspire love and passion in the ears of his listeners.
Husayn Service Day
Husayn Service Day (Saturday, July 30th, 2022) is a national day of service in honor of the legacy of Imam Husayn (a). For the 6th year in a row, we are coming together to give back to our communities. This national day of service honor the teachings of Imam Husayn through acts of service and giving back. Whether it is gardening at your local mosque or church, helping the elderly, donating blood, or serving meals at a soup kitchen, we invite you to go out and serve your community. Join us in extending our hands to others. Like Imam Husayn, let us give from ourselves and be a spark of compassion to those around us. Act today and join us in this national campaign. Share some photos on social media using the these hashtags:
Here are some ideas for you to take part in:
- Volunteer at a local humanitarian organization
- Reach out to your neighboring mosque or church and lend a helping hand
- Call your grandparents and family members.
- Add encouraging messages to your sidewalks using chalk.
- Call a friend from school that you don’t talk to often to say “Salaam!”
- Write a note to your parents to let them know how much you love them.
- Make your family breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Deliver/drop off groceries to an elderly neighbor.
- Clean or cut an elderly person’s lawn.
- Leave a note and a small gift for delivery drivers.
- Send a motivational text to a friend who is struggling.
- Help with chores without being asked and without complaining.
- Pick weeds from your family’s flower beds and gardens.
- Tell each of your family members one thing you love about them.
- Place large signs with kind messages in your windows for pedestrians to see.
Building on the success of the Husayni Expressions Competition over the last five years, The Mainstay Foundation is proud to continue this effort and host a national competition that will bring out amazing talent and creativity all in the service of Imam Husayn (as). In its enhanced format, the Husayni Expressions Competition aims to provide an effective platform to encourage and inspire the youth to utilize their creative talents to serve The Ahlulbayt (as). Be it a poem, portrait, latmiya, video presentation, or any other form of creativity, it is through our expressions that we propagate the undying message of The Ahlulbayt (as) and empower communities to proudly follow and practice their message.
- The expression must be related to Imam Husayn (a) or the events of Ashura, with the exception of the Holy Quran recitation.
- There are four categories as listed below:
- Presentations – Includes recitations (i.e. poetry, majalis, latmiya, ziyirat), and speeches.
- Quran Recitation – Includes recitation of the Holy Quran.
- Art – Includes paintings, drawings, sculptures, crafts, paper-mache, photography, etc.
- Video/ Technology – Includes any sort of technology-based media. For example, video recordings, time lapse, etc.
- Bonus points can be earned for originality and memorization.
- In order to qualify for the contest, all contestants must either attend the live event or join via a live zoom feed during the event on Saturday, August 6th.
- There must be a minimum of 3 contestants in each age group/category.
- Judges may select one to two winners per age group.
- Every contestant will have up to 3 minutes to showcase his or her expression.
- A panel of qualified judges will evaluate and rank all expressions within each category.
- All winners will be announced and awarded at the end of the event.
- Up to $3,000 in prizes!
- Gender: Male and Female
- Age Groups: 5-9 | 10-14 | 15-18 | 19-24
- Contestants: Individual or group
- Registration: All interested contestants must register online at www.muharram.live/he no later than Thursday, August 4th, 2022 at 11:59pm.
- Number of Contestants: Maximum of 6 contestants in each category and age group. Registration will be based on first come first serve.
- Date: Saturday, August 6th, 2022
- 10:00AM – Doors open for girls only presentation and recitation categories
- 10:30AM – Girls only begin
- 11:15AM – Registration opens for all others
- 11:30AM – All others begin
- Venue: The Greenfield Manor – 4770 Greenfield Rd., Dearborn, MI 48126
- Attendance: Open to the public
- All contestants must be pre-registered. No exceptions.
- Winning participants will have a chance to present at the Never Forget program the following day. Artwork of all contestants will be displayed the following day as well.
- Light refreshments will be served
For More Information
For more information or if you have any questions regarding the event, please contact Zaynab Turki at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (313) 505-5677.
MAJALIS OF ZAYNAB